RE: [FWP] Delayed semantical interpretation

Disclaimer: I never studied compiler theory

Since my s///e was nixed, how about `` (backtick)?

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Scott [mailto:Peter@PSDT.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 1999 1:01 PM
To: fwp@technofile.org
Subject: [FWP] Delayed semantical interpretation

Disclaimer: I hated compiler theory, so my question may be rife with
inconsistencies...

Sometimes the semantics of a statement cannot be determined until run
time.  An example would be $a++, where you don't know whether it's going to

do $a = $a + 1 or the magical string postincrement until you know the value

of $a.  And of course there are polymorphic O-O methods and eval.

What's the most egregious construct in Perl with respect to this
behavior?  Only a few tokens at most; I'm talking about language elements
here, not obfuscated programs.  Something which produces the widest range
of possible behavior that can't be narrowed until run-time.  eval doesn't
count :-)

--
Peter Scott
Pacific Systems Design Technologies