Re: [MacPerl-Forum] Hobby class mac TCP/IP server

At 12:52 AM +1000 7/17/99, Peta Adams - John Murray wrote:
>I grabbed an old LC630. I'd like to run Mac OS and a mac port of linux on
>different parts of a partitioned hard drive, and run web server software on
>top of both operating systems, and install perl on top of both systems as
>well.
>
>Any tips or comments on:
>
>1. Partitioning LC630 for this purpose.

You don't say how big the hard drive is.  In general, I would expect that
you'd need at least a 2 gig hard drive for what you're talking about - 1
gig for each side.  I could be wrong about the space requirements for the
linux side, though.

>2. Version of mac linux to use.

Well, it's an LC630, so LinuxPPC is right out. ;-)  There are ports
available for mkLinux and one or two of the BSD's (Open and Free, i
think?).

>3. Server software to install.

Unless you want to *pay* for server software, your choices are
a) Personal Web Sharing on the Mac
b) Apache on Linux

There may be some other options on the mac side (MacHTTP? if it's still
available and usable?), but the two above have the advantage that they are
usually (or can be) installed as part of the OS install.

>4. Is their a maclinux port of perl?

There are versions of perl that run under all the flavors of linux.  There
is not a version of MacPerl that runs under anything other than the MacOS,
and no other version of perl that runs directly under the MacOS.

I hope the LC630 was free...

-Jeff Lowrey