Re: [MacPerl-Scribes] Script Different

At 10:37 AM -0700 6/1/00, Rich Morin wrote:
>I'm feeling a bit out of the loop.  Do we have a column for Script
>Different?  Whose?  On what topic?  Inquiring minds need to know...

Last I remember, Brian's latest appeal didn't get a reply yielding an
article. This reply won't either, but here's my question:

When the scribes list was formed, I was offering an article on map,
grep, & sort. Brian correctly pointed out that this wouldn't be
specific to MacPerl, but suggested that I might write something about
my situation of developing on Mac but deploying most of my stuff on
UNIX/Linux or NT.

I've given this some thought, but I haven't really got a concept of
what would be helpful to PerlMonth Mac readers. My picture of what I
do is make the best of the lot of the Mac-using programmer,
addressing whatever comes up on a practical basis, just as I address
other programming challenges. So, it's hard to encapsulate the parts
of my work habits that are specific to this topic.

The clearest idea I have is to list a set of encouragements,
cautions, practices, references, and (perhaps) software
recommendations. Just a set of points. Covering things like:
end-of-line (record) issues; file path separator coordination;
working around Perl or Perl-related features unique to certain OSes;
file transfer concerns...

Is this what you were thinking of, Brian? Other ideas?

Here's a proposal, which could yield an article by August:

1. If (iff) fellow scribes think it's worth pursuing, I'll post a
starting list of things to cover.
2. Others are encouraged to add subjects to the list, and to send me
their approach to any of the issues listed.
3. I'll update the posting periodically.
4. When the collection has bulked up a bit, I'll post a draft.
5. Rinse and repeat.

If this works, then our Editors may feel less stress this time
two-three months from now. Of course, by then, several other writers
will have submitted their articles :-). The point is, _this_ article
will never get submitted unless it gets started. Helpers?

Meanwhile, Rich, I hope something shows up. And Brian, hang in there
and best wishes for your projects this month!
--

- Bruce

__Bruce_Van_Allen___bva@cruzio.com__Santa_Cruz_CA__