Re: [MacPerl] Totally new to Perl, and this decade of programming.

timusk@magi.com (Peter Timusk) writes:
>            I read for about four days this list and felt totally lost.

I don't blame you :-)

Have you tried Sandra Silcot's primer at

http://www.unimelb.edu.au/~ssilcot/macperl-primer/home.html

Another introductory manual is in the works, too.

>But I tryed again to open the Mac perl file I got send in an e mail from my
>brother.

Can you clarify what you mean by "Mac perl file"? Would this be a ca. 2M text
file whose first line is "This file has to be opened with BinHex 4" and the
rest is gibberish?

>I have programmed in FORTRAN in the sevenites on holerith cards
>and then in the eighties I programmed a VIC 20.

Nothing wrong with that :-)

>I have Code Warrior lite@
>whihc seems to come on as the editor when I open the Perl file.  But I
>can't open the documents or help or any of the text stuff within the file.

So you've already managed to unpack MacPerl? In that case, you need a
WWW viewer to read the documentation. (MacWeb, Netscape or MSIE).

Matthias

-----
Matthias Neeracher <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch> http://err.ethz.ch/members/neeri.html
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_