Re: [MacPerl] 32k document size limit

At 1:49 AM 3/12/96, Eric Muehling wrote:

>It all works pretty well. However when more than 32k of data
>match the user's request, then only 32k text is returned (the rest
>is clipped off at the end).
>
>* I've allocated 2000k memory to Perl (and tried lots more)
>* I've allocated  512k memory to the Perl Script (and tried lots more)
>
>The 32k return text limit seems to be independent of memory allocation.
>The script runs fine when run without MacHTTP (it prints an entire 32k+
>file directly to a window on my Mac. I only hit this 32k barrier when the
>Perl script sends stuff to MacHTTP.
>
>Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get through this 32k barrier?
>
>Macintosh IIci 8mb (RAM doubled to 16mb)
>System 7.1
>Perl 4.1.8
>MacHTTP 2.2

There is a limit to the amount of data that can be sent in Apple events.
The most common number stated is 32K minus some overhead, although I have
heard 64K on occasion. Here are some things you can try:

1) Install AppleScript. It supposedly works around this limit by patching
the Apple event manager. You don't actually have to use AS, just enjoy this
side effect of having it installed. Since you are using 7.1 you may have to
go through some gymnastics to get it since AS isn't distributed by itself.

2) Obtain the "Apple Event Manager" extension from one of Apple's ftp
sites. (Good luck, now that SU 2.0 has hit the net.) It is rumored to
contain the same fix as the AppleScript extension does.

later,

---Dave---

David C. Schooley                         |
Ph.D. in progress                         |  "Be Sweet"
Georgia Tech Electric Power               |
email: schooley@ee.gatech.edu             |     --- Lewis Grizzard's mom
http://www.ee.gatech.edu/users/schooley/  |