[MacPerl] system function in MacPerl

Hi!

I've just installed the Perl tool for MPW, and I'm writing my first MacPerl
scripts (I've used perl on SunOS). The system() function doesn't work for most
commands. Something like:

   perl -e 'system(files)'

yields loads of garbage output. I also get garbage when  I substitute "echo,"
"MountProject," "date" or "beep" for "files." So far, the only command that I've
found to work with the system function is "directory," but even then it ignores
parameters (I can't acutally change directories).

I'm trying to sell Perl on the rest of the development team here ... please
help!

Thanx,
Gary

Theatrix Interactive, Inc.