re: [MacPerl] more newbie questions on libwww

chang@cs.umbc.edu (Richard Chang) writes:
} Question on libwww:
}   What functionality does this library actually add for MacPerl?

The ability to do client side http and parse html, if you're talking
about libwww-perl-4.  The ability to also do client side ftp, gopher,
and a lot more if you're talking about libwww-perl-5.  Neither of these
will run out of the box under MacPerl.  (libwww-perl-5 because MacPerl
isn't up to version 5.002 yet, libwww-perl-4 because it's written for
Unix).

}
} It seems that there are many routines to parse html documents, do syntax
} checks, etc.  Can you write a MacPerl routine to grab a page off the net?

Yes, of course.  I run routines like this several times a day.

} (This you can do on UNIX.)  I tried to run the "get" program in the
} standard distribution, but I keep getting the message that the "method" is
} not supported?

Which method were you trying?  As I recall, the get script tries to
parse the method from the command line.

If you got the libwww-perl from the standard places (CPAN or Roy
Fielding's site), it won't work.  Go to

<http://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/MacPerl.html>

and you'll find a version of libwww-perl-4 that works under MacPerl and
some scripts I used to use with it.  If you want, I can send you a
libwww-perl-5b6 that will work under MacPerl.

} Richard Chang (chang@cs.umbc.edu)
---
--------
Paul J. Schinder