[MacPerl] Re: MacBinary

> MacBinary II+ is compression scheme, created by Peter Lewis, that
> isn't widely supported yet. You can reach a site from which to
> download:

MacBinary is not a compression scheme as far as I know.
Rather, it is an encoding method for Macintosh files that
preserves both the data and resource forks when they are
transferred to file systems that do not support such
bifurcated files, such as UNIX.  Simple binary transfers
only send the data fork of Macintosh files, rendering
useless files that depend on their resource forks, such as
applications.

MacBinary is rather old, so I doubt that Peter Lewis created
it.  However, his Anarchie ftp program does not
automatically decode MacBinary files.  Setting Stuffit
Expander as a helper application for ftp transfers should
make decoding a transparent operation.  Stuffit Expander is
preferable to most other decoders because it will also
uncompress most compression schemes.

> http://www.share.com/peterlewis/programs.html#MacBinaryII

The MacBinary II program that Peter Lewis wrote is just
another MacBinary decoder.

===Russell Johannesson [russell@critpath.org]