Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl shared lib?

Peter Folk <pfolk@uni.uiuc.edu> writes:
>>>I was thinking about how nice it would be to have little perl plug-ins to
>>>a number of programs that I use (BBEdit, Eudora, the new Navigator Gold
>>
>>A better idea might be a plugin which implements an Apple event interface
>>for MacPerl. It would be much smaller and would have to be recompiled with
>>every new version of MacPerl.
>
>But slooooow.

I don't know where people get that idea (Probably by mistakenly identifying the
performance of AppleEvents with Performance of AppleScript). The overhead of
sending an AppleEvent to the MacPerl application per script run is negligible.

What is less negligible is if lots of events are passed back and forth, as in
the BBEdit glue, but OTO, there is no good way to do that interface with a
shared lib either.

Matthias

-----
  "And that's why I am going to turn this world upside down, and make
   of it a fire so *bright* that someone real will notice"
                                -- Vernor Vinge, _Tatja Grimm's World_