Re: [MacPerl] Including req'd files within Droplets?

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Sam Choukri wrote:

> While searching through the archives of this list, I saw a few references
> to being able to include required files within Droplets (or Runtimes) as
> TEXT resources. Does anyone have specific instructions on how to do this? I
> know how to put TEXT files into new TEXT resources, but I'm not sure what
> ID they should be given (I assume the resource should have the same name as
> the filename). Once there, how do I refer to the included file within my
> script or will it be loaded automatically?

I figured this out from the source one day... Basically, you add a TEXT
resource to your script (using ResEdit or something) and name it whatever
you like, e.g., 'Test'.  Then you access it like this:

open(TEST, "<Dev:pseudo:Test") || die $!;

It's a nice little feature, though mostly undocumented...

> One of the files I'd like to include within the droplet itself is
> FindFolder.pl. But this file has an associated XFCN resource with it. Is it
> possible to also include these types of files, and if so, how?

XFCN resources can be added to scripts, no problem.  If you added
something like FindFoler.pl as a TEXT resource, how would you 'require'
it?  Perhaps something like:

require 'Dev:pseudo:FindFolder.pl';

...would work (if the TEXT resource was 'FindFolder.pl').  I've never
tried that...

> Thanks for your attention.
>
> -Sam
>

> Sam Choukri   \  <http://www.missouri.edu/~c588349/>  /   sam@pobox.com
> John Lennon - sights, sounds, info  | TableMaker - make HTML 3.0 tables
>  ColorMaker - color your web pages  |  FrameShop - make Netscape frames

John Peterson -- University Networking Services -- Brigham Young University
Internet: John_Peterson@byu.edu                       Phone: (801) 378-5007