No Subject

>} To Mac-Perl,
>}
>} I've been trying to use the 'ping.pm' module to set
>} up a ping script.  The line in this module:
>}
>} $echoport = (getservbyname('echo', 'tcp')) [2];
>}
>} doesn't return anything on the Mac, but works fine
>} on my DEC.
>
>It may be that MacPerl just doesn't know the port number for echo.  I
>discovered today that it doesn't know syslog as I was getting Syslog.pm
>working, but just giving it the port number by hand should work.  Be

Hard coding '$echoport = 7;' doesn't work either.  I looked for
'tcp' services on ports 1-5000 and didn't find 'echo' services.

>aware that there was a CERT advisory about echo and chargen a few
>months back in which they advised turning echo off, so if you point
>your script at a random machine, it may not answer.
>
>}
>} Mac's can reply to ICMP requests, but not send
} them (yet)?  Is this true?

>Macs running OT do, I believe.  I don't think Macs running MacTCP do,
>but there's software you can run (MacTCPWatcher, for one) that does.

MacTCP Watcher 1.1.1 isn't applescriptable.  MacPing 3.0.3 is scriptable,
but it seems to just want to activate and begin pinging ad infinitum
without ever returning a value.

>There's certainly ping software (MacTCPWatcher again) around that sends
>them, but I believe Matthias said MacPerl can't.

Would the MacPerl application need to be modified to include 'echo'
services on port 7, before MacPerl can 'ping' another machine?
Is the best solution for now to code it in C (ouch!)?

>}
>} Any suggestions?
>}
>} ---------------------------------------------------