Re: [MacPerl] HTML and Perl without HTTPd

>At 19:55 15/06/96, Will Snipes wrote:
>
>> Or assign your MacTCP a bogus fixed IP address (with the network set
>> to ethernet or local talk) and launch the daemon without dialing in.
>
>Great, just great....
>
>I just tried this, using localtalk, but I found the data transfer rate to
>be way slower locally than on a PPP connection, using the provider's
>server. I was wondering if ethernet would speed up things locally but since
>I removed all the ethernet related extensions from my system (I am not on a
>network) I don't know what I should reinstall I order to switch to ethernet
>in macTCP.

I don't think switching to Ether will make it any faster.  You are basically
running through a software loopback in memory and no packetts are trying
to exit your mac through any port.

>I also found out that my icons and images does not load as fast or don't
>load at all unless I force a reload. It might be Netscape's fault, though,
>and MacHTTP's config file might need some tweeking (Netscape 2.0.2 behaves
>well but version 3.0 Beta4 gave me ugly crashes).

The culpret in your slowness and lack of images is MacHTTP.  I run
NetPresenz on my PowerMac when I need to do this trick but it is still
slower than downloading from our WWW site.   I know of the images problem
and the slowness because I run a MacHTTP server and if the server Mac
(a Quadra 900) is busy MacHTTP will skip the images the first time.

As for Netscape, no version has impressed me by its reliability, but it
is the coolest browser!

>Oh... before I leave, a last question, do you know if is possible to
>emulate the  DNS locally so I can assign a domain name to my bogus address?

If you Really want to go to the trouble there is MIND (Mac Internet Name
Daemon) but I found it too complicated to bother with.  Just use BBEdit
to do a Multi-file search and replace on the ip address or work with
relative http addresses in your HTML <http://./graphics/mygif.gif>

>Cheers,
>Stephane.

>                            jose.stephane@uqam.ca
>                    http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/m206474/

                                                        _   ^
Quote: "Error no keyboard -- Press F1 to Continue"     (o) (o)
Talk@ul8r,                           http://www.intersol.org
                                     (919)302-8914
Will Snipes                          wbsnipes@intersol.org