[MacPerl] MacPerl from AppleScript/FaceSpan?

I want to run a perl script via the OSA component from a FaceSpan app. That
rules out calling AS from perl through DoAppleScript. What I need is a way
to call perl with a file argument from AS and get a return value (plain
text, but preferably a list).

Is this possible right now or do I have to wait for some future feature?
What I'm generally interested in is an integration of various OSA
languages. I don't really want to control a user interface with perl, on
the other hand file manipulation with AS is a pain.

BTW, what's the status of the MacPerl OSA component?

TIA
Michael