re: [MacPerl] MakeMaker, Makefile.PL and Modules

guinn@mail.utexas.edu (Tim Guinn) writes:

Since no one else seems to have answered this, I'll give it a shot...

}
} I'm trying to install a few modules (CGI.pm-2.25, NNTPClient-0.26, GD-1.14,
} e.g.) which work fine for me in UNIX, but, I'm having trouble with them on
} MacOS.

I'm a little confused.  In all of your message, I see no mention of
MPW.  Assuming you don't have MPW, then trying to use Makefile.PL is
pointless, since all it does is create a Makefile which on Unix
machines can be run to install the package.  The usual install-a-new-
package-in-Perl mantra: "perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make
install".  The important piece of this mantra is "make", which the
average Mac user simply doesn't have.

The easy way to install CGI.pm is simply to unpack the *.tar.gz, edit
CGI.pm, and move it into a folder in MacPerl's library path.  I don't
know about NNTPClient, but assuming none of it is written in C, just
unpack the files, and put the *.pm into the proper hierarchy somewhere
in your search path.  (If you need Net::NNTP, you can get a MacPerl
ready version from my ftp site:
<ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/Beta/> as part of the
libnet package.)  I thought GD was already included in 5.10.  If that's
the case there's no need to install that.  (I believe in the case of GD
you really *do* need a C compiler).

One of the easiest ways to install a large package in MacPerl (assuming
again that you don't have MPW) is to find a Unix machine, install the
package there, and then extract the newly installed files from the
installed package directory (in my case, out of
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/).  This takes care of the "can't easily
autosplit without make" problem as well.  It *still* may not work
without further editing, since the author may have implicit Unix
assumptions built in (using / as the path separator, for example, or
using \n when \012 is required), or it may not work at all if
significant pieces are written in C.

[snip]
}
} -tpg