[MacPerl] Installing Problems - MacPerl 5.1.0r2

Folks,
        I downloaded 5.1.0r2, unstuffed it, and started the installer up.
When the installer was part way through expanding the MacPerl application,
it halted.  I tried using apple-option-esc, chose shuttting down the
installer - and hung the system.  My Performa 635 currently has System
7.5.5.  I chose the 68k version of MacPerl when I started the install
process.  I have Ram Doubler running along with Symbionts, the usual Apple
extensions - including Applescript, plus TSM Fix, IceT, Internet Config
1.2, MacTCP, and very little else.  No Easy Open or Help system.
        Anyone have a clue about the hang up?  Should I try turning all
extensions off and see what happens?  Should I try choosing a 'universal'
version of MacPerl instead of the 68k version?  Thanks in advance.

Nils Dahl