Re: [MacPerl] TIFF, platform, cmd-D

Two topics with one msg...

>However, it should not be too hard to do with
>Perl since the TIFF format is well defined.

Pardon?  There's about a zillion TIFFs.  Do you mean revision 4, revision
5, revision 6, class B, class F?  Big-endian or little-endian?  Do you
support image negatives, rotation, bitmaps, RGB, multiple strips, RLE
compression, fax group 3 compression, fax group 4 compression, no
compression, word-boundary compression, PackBits compression?  I guess it
is well-defined but "not too hard" isn't the description I'd choose.

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/%7Emxr/gfx/2d-hi.html

That's the trouble with tagged file formats -- very flexible but a pain
in the ass to support if people can't resist throwing in features.

>It would be nice if Perl had a portable way to detect the platform that
>it is running on.  Maybe there is a good way and I just don't know it.

$on_a_mac = defined($MacPerl::Version);

And while I'm at it, a third topic, a feature request:

How about cmd-D meaning "Don't Save" in the close-dirty dialog box?

--
 Jamie McCarthy          http://www.absence.prismatix.com/jamie/
 jamie@voyager.net        Co-Webmaster of http://www.nizkor.org/