[MacPerl] 5.1.0 r2 and FileHandle

Greetings.  I am a new to macPerl user (and mostly to Perl itself).  I am
writing several tcp based client applications to run on both unix and mac.
I have run into the typical problems involving \n and \n\r, and the somewhat
undocumented (?) use of stty.  (echo and -echo don't appear to be documented
anywhere).

However the most annoying problem is macperl crashing on a trap when I
attempt to use the FileHandle module.  Simply put, use of:

use FileHandle;

crashes under macperl.  While I could simply give up on strict checking, is
it something I'm doing wrong this crash?  I've searched the web pages and
email archive and have seen no comment of this problem.

-j