[MacPerl] Future for MacPerl

Matthias wrote:
 >Beyond that, I currently have no plans. Too much depends on Apple's yet
 to be
 >announced OS strategy. If that strategy conforms essentially to the rumors
 >circulating at the moment, I can probably take MacPerl to a quiet spot in
 my
 >backyard and shoot it.

I am not that cynical.  Matthias, I believe that there is a very viable
need long term for the user-interface portions of MacPerl.  The things you
can do with it on the Mac surpass what I can do in my character-mode window
on Unix.  What with droplets, dialog boxes, et al... These features (and
more) will need to be available on a NeXTintosh.

I also believe that it will be a few years down the road before anything
dramatically changes.  Certainly, Apple can port the MAE product to NEXT
quickly (if they haven't already), but most people won't want to run layers
upon layers of operating systems.

... enough of the Perl bandwidth taken on this subject.