[MacPerl] CPAN

OK, here is the scoop:

Andreas and I have been trying to get his software to unpack .sit.hqx for
proper integration into CPAN.  I just got word from Aladdin that no such
software exists for UNIX that is compatible with the current Stuffit format
(post-1.5.1).

So what to do?

There are two issues:
1.)  The files need to be properly integrated into CPAN, which means, at
this point, they should be .tar.gz files.
        a.)  In order to create a .tar.gz archive, a Mac user needs MacGzip
and tar or suntar, all available on Info-Mac.
        b.)  In order to USE a .tar.gz archive, a Mac user needs to use the
above or Stuffit Expander (freeware) with Expander Enhancer (shareware).

Now, if this were the only issue, it would probably be OK with everyone to
do it this way.  However, there is also the second issue:

2.)  In order to get properly integrated into CPAN, the files in the
archive (the module and readme) need to be in UNIX linebreak format.  Then
in order to use the files, the user had to put them back into Mac linebreak
format.  This could be a pain.

My suggestion is to maybe upload two pieces: module.tar.gz and
module.sit.hqx.  module.tar.gz would be in UNIX linebreak format and would
be unpacked and integrated into CPAN, and module.sit.hqx would be left in
the author's directory and would have Mac linebreaks.

As you can see, there is no easy answer.  Anyone have any ideas?

I think man invented the car by instinct.

        --Jack Handey

Chris Nandor                                              pudge@pobox.com
PGP Key 0xB76E72AD                                      http://pudge.net/