[MacPerl] Re: MacPerl Fails on Open File...

[CC'ed to the mailing list in case anybody else is wondering about the same
crash]
jonathan@illuminata.com (Jonathan Eunice) writes:
>MacPerl (both 5.1.0r2 and 5.1.3r2) quits unexpectedly everytime I try to
>use Open or seemingly any other "file selection" dialog.

>[Very detailed bug report with extension listing omitted... give this man
> a medal!]

Thanks for your excellently documented bug report. I can say with some
confidence that "Click, there it is!" is causing the crashes. Versions prior to
1.0.4 had a bug in treating a slightly exotic variation of the standard file
dialog, which is for some strange reason used by almost no program but MacPerl.

The latest version, 1.0.7, of Click, there it is, is in the Info-Mac archive,
e.g. in

ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/info-mac/gui/click-there-it-is-107.hqx

Not only is it MacPerl friendly, it is PowerPC native, which your Mac will
appreciate.

As far as I know this is the only third party INIT conflict that MacPerl
exhibits, and it's interesting to see how long it has persisted: Versions
of CTII which did not crash were released back in 1994, s far as I remember,
but I still get bug reports about older versions more than 2 years later.

Matthias

-----
   "Cannibalism, as a socially and morally repugnant deed, certainly
    deserves a better fate than the grammatical slaughter Mr. Panitz
    offers above." -- William Ip