Re: .pl suffix (was: [MacPerl] open() misfeature? )

alex dosher <alyx@apple.com> writes:
>>BTW, Perl scripts should not have a .pl suffix. Only perl4 library files
>>should be written with a .pl suffix.

>hmmmn - tell that to BBEdit - Perl syntax coloring only works with the
>.pl extension.

Yes, that is indeed true.

>are there any practical reasons (besides convention) why one shouldn't
>use .pl?

No. Perl in some situations automatically appends .pm to file names, but
there's nothing special about .pl.

The convention of omitting suffixes is that distributed Perl programs should be
considered programs, not source code. People usually don't suffix AppleScripts
with .as, either.

However, all of this is merely convention.

Matthias

-----
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_