[MacPerl] Does tr work with MacPerl?

I have tried to find any info on this in the faq and the documentation but
so far I have found none. If this is a faq and I just haven't looked well
enough, please feel free to hit me with verbal abuse in personal e-mail.

I have tried to get tr to work as in e.g.

$something =~ tr/0-9A-Za-z \n//c

I know that character ranges on a Mac behave strangely, but in my naivity I
believed that straight ASCII (as in the example above) would work. Is there
anywhere where I can find the collected experiences with character ranges,
tr, and the like?

espen

Espen Ore      Persons.: 96 81 21 81           Tel: + 47 55 58 28 65
Norwegian Computing Centre for the Humanities  Fax: + 47 55 58 94 70
Harald Haarfagresgate 31                         Espen.Ore@hd.uib.no
N-5007 Bergen, NORWAY