[MacPerl] Perl Sockets on the Mac - Once Step Furthur (fwd)

According to Chipper C. Cuntz:

> If I submit a URL via the browser to the respective cgi the browser then
> presents the user with a window asking for User/Pass.
>
> Goal:
>
> What I would like to do is simulate this entry of User/Pass with a
> (hopefully minor) change to the code snippet to get URLs.  This would
> enable a download of the file I am after.  What are the mechanics of this?
> Can this be done via MacPerl?

Well, I'm not sure what anyone else will say, but here is
my response:

The reason your browser asks for a userid and password is
because you are logging into another system or your own
system via the browser.  Once on your system (or the other
system), the userid and password are not needed.  You
either DO have access to the web pages or you do not have
access to them.  Like Yoda said: "No.  Try not.  Do or do
not.  There is no try."  If you do have access to the web
pages, then the socket program Paul posted will work
regardless to where you are coming from.  If the pages are
locked in some manner (like no read or some such) you will
not be able to view the documents.

Also, if you are asking us how to circumvent this, then you
are asking us how to break into a computer system and I
don't think there are many of us who will willingly tell
you how to go about doing that.  :-)