[MacPerl] Death of a Disk

Yesterday, the [Leading brand of 1G removable magnetic disks] cartridge holding
both my PhD thesis and my entire development tree (a bit more than 10000 files
overall) broke down (And no, MacPerl wasn't running at the time).

Fortunately, I'm doing regular backups, so emigrating into the Himalaya to herd
Yaks for the rest of my life only briefly crossed my mind. The disk failed half
an hour before the scheduled weekly backup, but a night of digging also
recovered a week's worth of writing about queueing theory and a set of 90% done
Perl toolbox modules (Events.xs, Windows.xs, QuickDraw.xs - 2000 lines of
unreleased XS code, I'm not kidding you).

So, ultimately, it looks as if I will not lose any work. However, between the
2-3 evenings I will lose in restoring the development tree and a paper I have
to deliver at a conference Thursday, don't expect much feedback from me in the
next few days.

Matthias

-----
  "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a
   dead channel" -- William Gibson, _Neuromancer_