Re: [MacPerl] Perl Development hell (fwd)

According to Chris Nandor:
> At 10.51 97/3/14, Mark Manning/Metrica wrote:
> >According to Chris Nandor:
> >>
> >> In a nutshell, yes.  There should be no difference.  Of course, shoulds are
> >> not the real world, but yes, it should be no different.
> >
> >Actually, that's not quite right.  :-/
> >
> >There is the slight problem of the "\n" versus "\r" versus
> >"\n\r" and the problem of the ":" versus "/" versus "\"
> >things.  Or to be more clear:
>
> But that is not a CGI thing.  And if the CGI is written with octals for
> linefeeds and carriage returns, then that doesn't even come into play.
> What you are referring to is one of many cross-platform issues, such as
> unimplemented functions.  Linefeed meta-characters fall into that vein.
> But as far as CGI code itself, there is no difference.

Obviously I need a few lessons in interpretation of
questions.  ;-)  This is the second one where I thought the
person was asking one thing and it turned out to be
another.  :-/

However, wouldn't the above issues impact any CGI code?
After all, if a CGI script wished to send back a page of
HTML code does the CGI library automatically correct the
"\n", "\r", "\n\r" problem?  I thought this had to be
addressed by the programmer.  And if the CGI script was to
open a file - would not all of the "\"'s found in an NT
version of a script have to be changed to ":"'s?  If not -
ok.  :-)  My problem is that I do all of my changes by hand
and do not use the CGI library.  Mainly because I like to
keep myself up to date about as much as I can and if I let
someone else do the work for me I really do not learn
anything.  :-)  So I write all of the HTML stuff myself,
CGI stuff, blah, blah, blah...  :-)

Later dudes & dudets - the weekend beckons (and if I don't
trip over the doorjamb I won't be back until next
Tuesday!).