Re: [MacPerl] Using Mac NDBM files with Unix Perl

>roger@umich.edu writes:
>>On Sat, 5 Apr 1997 16:20:53 -0800 (PST) jerry@pwa.acusd.edu (Jerry Stratton)
>>wrote:
>>>I'm trying to upload some MacPerl NDBM files to my Unix site for web
>>>use. Do I need to do some sort of conversion? My MacPerl databases are
>>>single file; Unix Perl seems to expect ".pag" and ".dir" files.
>>     use DB_File;
>Roger is right, but if Berkeley DB is not already installed, it might be
>easier
>to dump out the DBM file to a linear text file, transfer it, and then undump
>it.

I'd rather avoid that, as it would require working out a one-time system to
deal with carriage returns in the field data (and any other unknown special
characters that I'm sure I would discover). Is there a way to tell MacPerl
to output the database in a format that non-Berkeley DB will recognize?
(The Unix system does not have DB_File available.)

Obviously, if I have to I have to, but I'm trying to avoid as much work as
possible. The original DB is actually in FileMaker Pro; I used MacPerl's
apple event ability to extract the field data; is there a Perl interface
for DBF?

Jerry

jerry@acusd.edu         x8773              http://www.acusd.edu/~jerry/
--
"I used to carry a hunting bow, broadheads, camo, etc. slung across my
 back to and from the area where I would hunt... heading back home with