Re: [MacPerl] Plug-ins / Applets

Angus seems to be driving home towards the problem.

First, its too bad that that's all that droplets are. But then stand-alone
applications are the reason that I switched to Perl from C in the first
place -- much faster testing and debugging cycle.

Second, Ive been able to run Perl as a 'helper application' from
Netscape. So, 'droplets' should work as 'applications' linked by 'MIME'
definitions. The problem is that the output will be routed to a fresh
window rather than back to your Browser. Since the output is 'html', this
is quite the solution.

Lastly, Java doesn't do the trick for writing the type of 'PLUG-INS',
'API's or 'applets' that I need and Javascript is worse. THere is no
file I/O capabilities defined in Java or Javascript. Yah, Yah, I know
all about the security issues! But, from my perspective, if the client
has chosen to use your application then the client has made the decision
to permit you to write files. The problem with both Netscape and Java
is that they let you download "in the blind" executable programs without
any warnings or acknowledgements.

Well, maybe I need to hack a little browser of my own to make this
application work. Are any of the sources to Mosaic still floating around?

- Ray Lauzzana