Re: [MacPerl] Problems with seek()?

amunter@salkeiz.k12.or.us writes:
}I have a routine that works great under perl for NT, Linux, and others,
}but doesn't seem to work with MacPerl.  It involves seek:
}
}open(IN, "testfile") || die "Couldn't open testfile: $!\n";
}$gotit = seek(IN, 20,0);
}if($gotit) {
}  print "It's at least 20 characters..\n";
}} else {
}  print "Could not go there.\n";
}}
}close(IN);

This works just fine for me.  Fails for a 19 byte file, works for a 20.

}
}..that is not the actual routine, but it summarizes the problem in a
}snippet.  Regardless of the length of testfile, I get "Could not go
}there".  Does MacPerl not handle seek() correctly?  Or do *I* not handle
}seek() correctly? 8-)

MacPerl handle's seek correctly (at least 5.14a1 on a PPC machine).  If I
had to guess, I'd guess you're opening some other "testfile" than the one
you think you are.  Try giving the full path to the file that you want to
test and see what happens.

}
}-Aaron Munter
}Technology Development Coordinator (TechDevCoord for short)
}Salem-Keizer Public Schools, Salem, Oregon, USA
}***** Want to unsubscribe from this list?

---
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center