[MacPerl] AppleEvents from MacPerl?

I wish to replace BatchFTP with a MacPerl script (since Perl beats
AppleScript hands down 8^). What this script does is read in a file of
files to download, one per line, and retrieves them from the remote host.
I use it for going throught the Info-Mac Digest and grabbing everything I
like. Anyway, for reasons unknown to me, this particular Applescript does
not work anymore, and instead of learning yet another language to find the
problem, I decided to wrtie a replacement using a language I do know,
Perl.

Here is my problem: I don't know how to tell Anarchie (or Fetch, or
whatever) to download a file. The Applescript used the 'geturl' AppleEvent
for Anarchie, and a way to do that probably would be useful. I've been
through the POD for ADesc (or whatever it's called--I don't have it in
front of me), but that didn't really help. Is something like this
possible?

Dan Bongert                | Hire the Morally Handicapped--It's More Fun
dbongert@students.wisc.edu | National Institute for the Morally Handicapped
herkimer@upl.cs.wisc.edu   | just a guy made of dots and lines