[MacPerl] Using carp and -w switch w/debugger

I seem to get consistent system crashes if I run a script with
the -w switch in the debugger.  The following scripts do the
trick ;-(crash) on my Macs

#! ./perl -w
use Carp;
carp "FOO!!\n";

or..

#! ./perl -w
$x .= 'FOO'; # uninitialized var warning calls Carp here, I think
print "$x\n";

What is the reason for this.  Is the solution just a simple
"Don't use the -w switch while running the debugger!"

John