Re: [MacPerl] Out of Memory Crash

At 16.07 97/6/9, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>I ran into an interesting problem this past weekend.  I
>wrote a small program and, in the course of things, used
>the wrong variable in one place.  This had an interesting
>side effect.  I got the following:
>
>Out of memory!
>Out of memory!
>Out of memory!
>
>And then the system crashed.

Unlike UNIX perl, which does not have a preset amount of memory available
to it, MacPerl is limited by whatever amount of memory you allocate to it
in the Finder's Get Info window for the app.  UNIX perl automagically grabs
available system memory.  But all perls are limited by available memory.
An array that large would tend to crash a perl with a smallish (5MB?)
partition (as opposed to many UNIX boxes that have, say, 50MB or so free at
a time).

--
Chris Nandor                 pudge@pobox.com                 http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'08 24 09 0B CE 73 CA 10  1F F7 7F 13 81 80 B6 B6'])