Re:[MacPerl] Sending commands to a server with MacPerl

At 11:06 AM -0700 on 6/10/97, bufbill@cloud9.net wrote:

> OK, I found out that the EIMS password server is on port 106, and the
> commands that I have to send to it are
>
> USER username
> PASS password
> NEWPASS newpassword
> QUIT
>
> I am trying to use POP3.pm from the libnet bundle, but it is either
> erroring out, or not changin the password.
>
> Please help me out, and tell me what I have to do in order to
> Connect to a server on port 106
> and send the four commands mentioned above.

Can you send us your telnet session?  (You can use the script command
on a Unix box.)  Unless you're using a modified version of the POP3.pm
module, you might not get the desired effect you intended.  From looking
at the module briefly, it seems to be expecting the "OK"s that POP3
servers send when a command is accepted before the next command is sent.

>From a line in the POP3.pm module:

	PeerPort => $arg{Port} || 'pop3(110)'

...it seems that it will accept a different port number from the standard
110 port for POP3.  Hopefully, someone who's been using this module can
help you on how to assign this port number. :)

Without further info, I would say that the POP3.pm module is inappropriate
for your use.  I myself is hoping to be able to use the Telnet.pm module
soon.

Louie