Re: [MacPerl] Usenet: comp.lang.perl.mac ... ?

pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) writes:
}I was wondering if anyone here had opinions as to whether or not there
}should be a MacPerl newsgroup in the c.l.p. hierarchy.

I don't see the need for it.  We have this list, and traffic about MacPerl
on c.l.p.m is low.   And I don't believe the Usenet "Field of Dreams"
fallacy, "If you newgroup it, they will post".

}
}Personally, I am not know in favor of such a move.  But perhaps others have
}some arguments I had not thought of.
}
}I bring this up now because c.l.p. is going through a reorganization right
}now, and it looks like it will be successful.  Many people have requested a
}c.l.p.win32 group.  That will likely not happen, though it might be
}attempted in the future.  As such, I thought it might be good to discuss
}benefits/problems with moving this list to a newsgroup, or adding a
}newsgroup as a companion to this list.

Personally, after reading the RFD, I'm going to vote against the proposal.
I don't think the division is at all clean, and with MT Newswatcher (or any
other good newsreader), don't have a great deal of trouble dealing with the
volume.  c.l.p.m is a medium volume newsgroup.  The robo-moderation idea is
interesting, and perhaps should simply be applied to c.l.p.m to get rid of
the CGI trash.

}
}Thoughts?
}
}--
}Chris Nandor                 pudge@pobox.com                 http://pudge.net/
}%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'08 24 09 0B CE 73 CA 10  1F F7 7F 13 81 80 B6 B6'])
}

---
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center