Re: [MacPerl] Interfacing to AppleEvents

Matthias Ulrich Neeracher <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch> writes:
}Tom Pollard <pollard@schrodinger.com> writes:
}>Until it's easier to generate AppleEvents, I'd say it's inaccurate to call
}>MacPerl a "scripting language" at all.
}
}Doesn't AppleScript and Frontier embedding make Perl a scripting language ?

I'd say it does, and in fact, I'd say that the situation is much the same
on Unix.  On neither platform would I use Perl if all I wanted to do is to
script other applications.  That's what the shells and AppleScript are for.
But if need system/MacPerl::DoAppleScript/etc., they're there.

In fact, I'd love for someone to define "scripting language".  The
definition would have to be pretty convoluted to exclude MacPerl, IMHO.

}
}>If you accept that, then it would make sense for the
}>'system' command and the backtick notation to interpret their arguments as
}>AppleScript in MacPerl.
}
}I don't see how that would be an advantage over MacPerl::DoAppleScript.

Nor do I.

}
}Matthias
}
}-----
}Matthias Neeracher   <neeri@iis.ee.ethz.ch>   http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~neeri
}  "Lord grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. The
}   courage to change the things I can. And the wisdom to hide the bodies
}   of the people I had to kill because they pissed me off"

--------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693