Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl::SetFileInfo Help (fwd)

According to Matthias Ulrich Neeracher:

> >The file isn't even officially created until after it's been closed.
>
> Hmm? Where did you get that idea? The Finder is slow to update sometimes,
> but the file is certainly created at open() time.

Older outlook on file creation.  The steps were: Open,
write, close, then manipulate.  The reason was:

The OPEN command does not guarantee that the file is
created immediately.  Only that you wish to open and/or
create a file if it isn't there.  With a ram cache (which
is automatically engaged in  Mac OS version 7.5 and later),
the open command can be cached and, until a flush is issued
(ie: a close usually does this) by the user or system, the
request to create a new file can take as long as five
minutes.  (To which I say "blech".)  This was stated under
system OS release v7.1 by an Apple rep on one of the
Macintosh news groups.  It is one of the reasons why, when
I'm creating a file I do an OPEN/CLOSE/OPEN in order to
create it.

My feelings are: Better safe than sorry.  :-)