[MacPerl] Stupid, non-Mac based PERL question

I think I've said everything in the subject.

I have a database laid out like this, in tab-delimited format:

Number[tab]Username[tab]Unneeded data[tab]ditto[tab]... there are fifteen
fields total, and then a newline at the end.

I've looked through the instructions and PODs, and I just can't find this.
The likely cause of that was being awakened early this morning to go to
work. =p

All I want is the username, perferably in an array, one entry per username.
How would I pattern match/replace to get this? Is that even the route I
should take?

Thanks,
- Seraph