Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl and WebSTAR (fwd)

A few corrections to what Bob posted (on an otherwise VERY
informative posting).  :-)  (ie: I'm forwarding a copy of
this to my home account.)

MacPerl does not have to be running continuously.  It
should (and does under Quid Pro Quo) autoboot when a CGI
script is invoked.  The same happened under MacHTTP and I
can only assume the same would happen under WebStar.

On CGI-BIN - actually you can call it whatever you want.
It is just that the directory is _normally_ called CGI-BIN
for clarity's sake.  :-)

According to Bob Wilkinson:
> >Does MacPerl need to be running continuosly?
>
> Yes
>
> > Do I need to specify a cgi-bin(s)?
>
> Yes - it goes as a subdirectory of the server  (I think I used an
> evaluation copy of MacHTTP). i.e. in a folder under that in which the
> execuable sits
>
> >Am I approaching this from too much of a UNIX
> >standpoint?
> >
> >Any information that any of you can provide would be greatly appreciated
> >by both
> >myself and the kiddoes.  Thanks.

On a further front - Not to knock WebStar (as I've said
before) but Quic Pro Quo (available from
http://www.slaphappy.com) is FREE and is only beat out by
WebStar for speed.  QPQ also contains a number of examples
(although I have been informed that there are no MacPerl
examples in the downloadable bin file).  QPQ has some
features which I really like - like two speedometers which
allow you to, on the fly, set how much of the CPU it uses
as well as how much time it spends sleeping (ie: idle
mode).  So you can let it dominate your computer or make it
extremely friendly.  It also supports realms, passwords,
and quite a bit more.  A _very_ nice program (like MacPerl)
considering that it is all done for free.  If Chris ever
starts charging for QPQ I plan on being one of the first to
pay.  (Same to you Matthias!)

Also, not only can you write programs in MacPerl for QPQ
(and WebStar) but you can also write programs in C, C++,
Pascal, and even Chipmunk Basic.  I haven't really kept up
with the Pascal end of things, but the other languages have
examples which you can use to write in them.  Of them all
though, I feel that MacPerl (or Perl in general) is THE
best way to write these programs.  And that is because it
is just _so_ good at handling text information.