[MacPerl] Checking user-id's and paswords

Is it possible from within MacPerl to check a supplied
username/password against the users setup in 'Users and Groups'?

Esentially I want to use the same userid/password pair to validate a
Web form submition as the pair already used to validate Mac
filesharing and NetPresenz FTP access to the server. And yes, I do
know that submiting a 'password' form a form is spectacularly
insecure, but I can't see a better way of doing it.

Jon.
--
Jon Warbrick, Computer Systems Manager,                jw35@cus.cam.ac.uk
St John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP, UK.             +44 (0)1223 338751