Re: [MacPerl] Checking user-id's and paswords

On 21 Jul 97 at 12:25, Chris Nandor wrote:

> sub doAE {
>  use Mac::AppleEvents;
>  $be =  AEBuildAppleEvent('QUGL','AUTH',typeApplSignature,'MACS',0,0,
>                 q"pnam:TEXT(@),PSWD:TEXT(@)",$u,$p) || die "$!\n";
>  $rp = AESend($be, kAEWaitReply) or die $^E;
>  $xxx = AEPrint(AEGetParamDesc($rp,'----'));
>  if ($xxx =~ /01/) { print "OK\n"}  #event returns bool(Ç00È) or bool(Ç01È)
>  else { print "Nogo\n"}
> }

> As usual, Apple Events are both faster and more difficult to put
> together. :-)  And, as usual, the importance of speed in your
> program dictates which route you would take.

Of course the problem for many of us is that, while we may or may not
be competent with Perl, we simply don't know enough about Apple Event
programming to use the Apple Event interface in place of Apple
Script.

But that said, thanks for this code snippet which I can use directly
without needing to understand it!

[ Now all I need to do (for an other project) is work out why Chris's
[ AppleEvent interface to PGP will not work for me against PGP
[ 2.6.3i, when it's supposed to work with 2.6.3 and as far as I
[ know they should be the same at the Apple Event level. Any
[ comments Cris? ]

Jon.
--
Jon Warbrick, Computer Systems Manager,                jw35@cus.cam.ac.uk
St John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP, UK.             +44 (0)1223 338751