Re: [MacPerl] Running MacPerl/Webserver on different machines?

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, John Irving wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I noticed in a previous thread here that MacPerl must be on the same
> machine as the webserver in order to enable users to run scripts via thier
> web browsers. Is there any way around this? I'd really like to be able to
> devote another machine on our network to MacPerl.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> John

As far as I know, there is no way to make MacPerl on a different machine than
the one with the Web server. As the two applications must communicate via
AppleEvents, I don't think it is possible to make a CGI run on another machine.

Under Unix, they can do such trick using rsh, but on a Macintosh...
In fact, this could perhaps be possible by writing a little application that
send the AppleEvents from the web server to the other machine, and
vice-versa... something like this:

         first Macintosh                             second Macintosh
   ----------------------------     network     --------------------------
  | webserver  <->  AE Xchange | <===========> | AE Xchange  <->  MacPerl |

I know that ascii art is not the aim of this list, but I am not sure enought
of my English to correctly explain what I mean. :-)

I don't know if this is technically possible, and I don't know if such a mess
could even work!

There could be another solution : just let the first Macintosh as a normal
webserver (without CGI) and use a second Macintosh with a second webserver and
MacPerl. I heard that Apple Web site, for example, use 4 Macintosh, each
running a webserver. This way, you have a normal webserver and a CGI-webserver
where you can try all your CGIs.