Re: [MacPerl] [NO LONGER OFF-TOPIC] Mac FTP alternative

At 6:19 PM -0400 7/31/97, Noah Iliinsky wrote:

>For transfering files between our macs and our suns we use netatalk
><http://www.umich.edu/~rsug/netatalk/index.html> . It's a free AppleShare
>server and print spooler for unix/linux, and being specifically designed
>to connect macs and unix boxes, it is very good about file formats and
>translations.
>
>Most of the perl I write is using BBEdit on files that reside on a sun
>volume mounted on my mac. These files execute fine on either platform
>(other platform differences notwithstanding).

To be specific, one of the things that netatalk does for you is convert the
line endings in text files. Binary files are left alone, but text files get
converted according to whether you are copying to or from the unix box.
AppleDouble is used on the unix side to maintain the Mac creator and type
codes. Any file created by a unix process is considered to be text, so the
automatic conversion can be a bad thing if the file is really a gif or
something and you copy it to your Mac.

Netatalk makes makes writing perl and/or C code on unix fairly painless
since you can use a Mac based text editor. I use Alpha to write C and perl
code that is to be executed under unix. I can execute or compile those same
files with either MacPerl or CodeWarrior on my Mac without having to copy
them over, therefore the complication of keeping the files syncronized is
eliminated.

later,

---Dave---

David C. Schooley              | "Success is how high you
Ph.D. in progress              |  bounce after you hit
Georgia Tech Electric Power    |  bottom.
mailto:schooley@ece.gatech.edu |   - General George S. Patton
http://www.ee.gatech.edu/users/schooley/