Re: [MacPerl] Image::Size module

David Turley <dturley@illuminet.net> writes:
}Has anyone used the Image::Size module with MacPerl?

Yes.

}
}When I do I get the following error:
}
}# # Can't locate auto/Image/Size/gifsize.al in @INC.
}File 'Macintosh HD:perl:MacPerl Ä:lib:AutoLoader.pm'; Line 26

Because you didn't Autosplit the file.

Here's a piece of mail I sent to the list in response to an earlier message
a few months ago:

<oldstuff>

}davistv@iac.net (Troy Davis, Mann Bukvic Gatch) writes:
}}Hi,
}}
}}I'm trying to use the Image::Size pm, but I can't figure out how to get
}}around the Makefile script since it looks like it is expecting a unix
}}system. Has anyone installed this module before?
}
}You don't get around the Makefile script.  They do expect that Perl modules
}will only be installed on Unix systems.
}
}Here are some things to look for when downloading a module from CPAN.  If
}there are any files ending in .xs, forget it, since you'll need a C
}compiler to install it.  As far as I know, only Matthias can properly make
}shared libraries.  If all there are is one or more .pm files, put them into
}the appropriate place by hand.  In this case (having just downloaded
}Image-Size from CPAN), there's only a Size.pm, so put that in a folder
}named Image somewhere in your MacPerl search path.  (You should probably
}maintain at least one folder in your MacPerl search path outside of your
}MacPerl folder, so you don't need to rescue modules you've added when a new
}MacPerl comes out.)  Make sure it's a Macintosh text file, and not a Unix
}text file, or MacPerl will choke.
}
}Now you try it (I'm using the all.t in the t directory) and you find that
}it complains about a module that it wants to Autoload that's not being
}found.  On a Unix system, during the make process the file would be
}Autosplit, and each individual routine below the __END__ would go in an
}:auto:Image:Size:name.al file, with name replaced by the routine name (so
}you would have gifsize.al, etc.)  But often you don't need to do that.  The
}first thing to try is to find the __END__ line in Size.pm and simply
}comment it out.  And, behold, all but one of the tests (that for the
}included ppm file) work.  Mission almost accomplished.  I'll leave it to
}you to start up the debugger and figure out why the ppm isn't working if
}you want, but if you don't care about ppm, you're set.
}
}The steps again: put Size.pm in a folder named Image in your MacPerl search
}path.  Change it to Mac text, and edit it to comment out the __END__. Have
}fun!
}}
}}Thanks,
}}Troy Davis
}}
}}________________________
}}Troy Davis, Webmaster
}}Mann Bukvic Gatch Partners
}}205 West 4th Street  Suite 1130
}}Cincinnati, Ohio  45202
}}USA       513.241.4444
}}http://www.slipstream.com
}
</oldstuff>

}
}File 'Macintosh HD:perl:MacPerl Ä:lib:Image:Size.pm'; Line 336
}I'm afraid I have no idea to what auto/Image/Size/gifsize.al refers.
}
}Any help would be appreciated.
}

The procedure outlined above works.  I even figured out what was wrong with
the ppm (another \n != \012 problem).  If this is good enough, then you're
set.  If not, I went ahead and Autosplit the file by hand and I can make it
available when I get the time to package it into a sit.hqx.  Let me know.

}Cheers,
}
}David
}___________________________________________________________
}David Turley
}dturley@illuminet.net
}Fredericksburg, VA
}USA
}
}"If you want to know what God thinks about money, just
}     look at the people He gives it to."
}                                     -- Old Irish Saying
}

---
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center