[MacPerl] I'm back! :-)

Well, we made it there and back again without being robbed,
mugged, or shot.  :-)  LA was nice.  SIGGRAPH'97 was nice.
While I was there I got to hear a couple of things:

1. Apple sold 7% of their stock to Microsoft so Microsoft
would continue to develop software for the Mac.

2. Apple is going to use AppleScript with both the blue box
and the yellow box.

3. However, Apple is also considering allowing people the
ability to use CSH, KSH, etc... if they want to.

The people at the trade show listened politely to my vote
for Perl/MacPerl being the scripting language of choice and
then probably promptly forgot about me.  :-)

I also talked with ViewSonic's people.  They were showing
an LCD 12.1" TFT screen for $2,900.00.  I asked them why it
was so high.  They gave me various reasons.  I pointed out
that I could buy a laptop with a 12.1" TFT LCD screen for
$2,400.00 so why was their screen so costly?  They had no
answer for that.  I wouldn't mind buying one of their
screens - but not for $2,900.00.  $1,500.00?  I'd think
about it.  Heck.  The new Monorail system which has a 13"
TFT LCD screen only costs $2,300.00 last I looked.  :-/

Anyway, I talked with the Apple people about whether any
programs (such as MacPerl - I _did_ keep bringing that up
to them) would have any problems with the new OS.  The
people there at the show said that Apple had been testing
many programs and that so far there weren't any which
didn't run.  Some crashed they said, but the majority of
the programs ran without a problem.  :-)