Re: [MacPerl] Bug report on 5.14b1 (fwd)

At 10:09 AM -0500 08/13/97, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>According to Brian L. Matthews:
>> Warning! Biting Sarcasm and Harsh Words ahead.
>*nod* as you have said - so do I.
Me too. (No I'm not an AOL user. Never.)
>> |Heh.  Syntactically or not, if $^O contains "MacOS" then
>> |both of the commands will return true.  :-)
>>
>> Ah. The "it happens to do what I want in one particular case, so who
>> cares if it's demonstrably wrong" argument.
>
>Ah. *BEEP* Wrong!  But thanks for playing our game!

Gee can you tell me what your game is?

$^O =~ /mac/i match anything from 'mach', 'emacs' to
'ThisISANyThingButAmaCiNtosh'

In fact standard perl support MachTen. Although I don't use MachTen,
I'm pretty sure its $^O return "machten" or "machten_2"

>Actually, if $^O contains "MacOS" AND if "=~" does a string
>search for a particular string given the "/../" operator,
>THEN
>
>	if( $^O eq "MacOS" )
>
>	Which does a specific string compare versus the
>
>	if( $^O =~ /mac/i )
>
>	Which looks for a particular string within the variable ^O
>
>	Both of these IF statements will return true.
>	Further, it would seem kind of silly to me for Perl
>	(or MacPerl) to do the
>
>	if( $^O eq "mac" )
>	if( $^O eq "Mac" )
>	.
>	.

In that case, what you really wanted is $^O =~ /^macos$/i

But that's plain wrong too!!
I use $^O eq "MacOS" because "MaCoS", "mACOs" etc could be anything.
I don't consider those variation Macintosh related at all.

Cheers,
Paul