Re: [MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

What's the point of OSA-MacPerl? There's more than one, I think:

Perl would be available everywhere. Perl scripts could be used in
attachable apps ranging from cases as simple as a "Scripts" menu to the
most complex cases such as FaceSpan which technically is an incredibly
customizable (through attaching) do-nothing app. It wouldn't matter what
language a script was written in, be AppleScript, Frontier, or Perl -- as
long as the interface were the same, i.e the same events would be handled.

The potential for seamless integration. From what I've heard on one of the
Java lists, Apple aims at integrating Java in a way that JAR-files would be
treated like ordinary applications. Unfortunately it seems that they're not
using the OSA-approach for Java, I'll check this on the MRJ list (probably
another case of Apple inventing the same thing several times: can you say
Component Mgr, ASLM, CFM?).

Now, how about a similar approach to Perl than with Java? What I have in
mind is this: Every Java installation has a predefined set of libraries
available. Applications only have to supply what goes beyond that standard.
The same could be done with Perl in principle.

Michael