Re: [MacPerl] what does library path mean...

At 09.55 9/20/97, Joseph\"ALVIS\"Alexander Snow wrote:
>when u dont have to put it in the lib folder, but can put it in the lib
>path, or use lib path etc...
>
>what is the english interpretation of this concept please?

When perl looks for a library or module, it looks in the @INC array.  All
libraries and modules must be found in one of those pathways, unless you
give it the full pathname with require.  Now, by default @INC looks like
this:

        #!perl
        print join("\n",@INC);

        Returns:
        PowerPudgeII:Desktop Folder:macperl:MacPerl Ä:lib:MacPPC
        PowerPudgeII:Desktop Folder:macperl:MacPerl Ä:lib:
        :
        Dev:Pseudo:

If you add a library to the preferences in Preferences:Libraries, it
inserts it after the "lib" directory:

        PowerPudgeII:Desktop Folder:macperl:MacPerl Ä:lib:MacPPC
        PowerPudgeII:Desktop Folder:macperl:MacPerl Ä:lib:
        PowerPudgeII:Programming:Pudge:pudgeprogs:perl:site_specific:
        :
        Dev:Pseudo:

Now, we recommend that all additional libraries and modules do not go in
lib:MacPPC: or lib:Mac68K: or lib:, but in your extra library path (mine is
site_specific:).

Hope this explanation helps, my knee is hurting and I am tired.  :-)

--
Chris Nandor             pudge@pobox.com             http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])