Re: [MacPerl] MacPERL Performace vs. Intel Class systems

At 9:27 PM -0500 10/13/97, Nat Irons wrote:
 >With a test like this one, drive access could easily pose as much of a
 >bottleneck as anything else.

If you think disk I/O is the issue, consider this:

IO may be a problem to some applications, but not on this benchmark.  I
changed the script to
   print OUTFILE "10000\n";

and it runs SIGNIFICANTLY faster.  I believe most of the performance cost
was in the 5.1.3 numeric to string conversion routine(s).

If you don't believe me, test it yourself.

Also, consider Matthias' comment:
 > - The contribution of the Perl core is that Perl 5.1.4 comes with its own
 >   I/O formatting routines, which probably are faster than the rather slow
 >   old Metrowerks C libraries.

Certainly the rest of what he accomplished made a significant improvement
as well.

Join in the chorus... Thank you Matthias!  Good work.