Re: [MacPerl] The MacPerl Pages and book (update)

rdm@cfcl.com, mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Subj:	[MacPerl] The MacPerl Pages and book (update)

>We've expanded and reworked the MacPerl Pages (http://www.ptf.com/macperl/)!
>
>Here are the major sections we now offer:
>
>  Banner Sites		MacPerl: The Book    Other Resources
>  Experts for Hire	Mailing List         Promote MacPerl
>  FAQ-O-Matic		Media Coverage       Site Map
>  Get MacPerl		Online Support       Snippets & Stories
>
>In many of these sections, we are actively soliciting input and help, as:
>
>  Banner Sites		Put up the MacPerl banner (then tell us about it)!
>  Experts for Hire	Free listings for MacPerl consultants!
>  FAQ-O-Matic		Save the email list; answer some common questions!
>  MacPerl: The Book	We can always use more book reviewers!
>  Media Coverage	Tell us when you see media mentions of MacPerl!
>  Online Help		Are we missing any useful links?
>  Other Resources	Are we missing any useful books, etc?
>  Promote MacPerl	Look here for ways you can promote MacPerl!
>  Snippets & Stories	Send us your code snippets and war stories!
>
>To honor the folks that have been actively helping out with the MacPerl
>book project, we have added an acknowledgements page:
>
>	http://www.ptf.com/macperl/ptf_book/acks.html
>
>Send in a review and get YOUR name up in lights!
>
>We are hard at work on the book itself; expect to see some new chapters
>Real Soon Now.  Meanwhile, we have twiddled the existing chapters and
>sketched up a snazzy cover design, with artwork by Delight Prescott.

This looks great.  I have seen this book effort from a distance and like it
a lot.

I was awaiting either the "MacPerl Oddities" or perhaps the
"Idioms And Programming Paradigms" chapter to mention something that I hadn't
realized til this past August when I heard Ken Lunde's presentatin at the Perl
Conference.  In it he remarked that MacPerl's \w regexp meta-character will
match some of the high bit characters in the Mac extended ascii code page.
This is perhaps worth careful emphasis not only because of its difference from
unix but also in light of the use of the ISO-Latin-1 charset in cgi scripts,
where character set rendering issues become blurry.

Peter Prymmer

P.S. a test script that exhibits this behavior is simple to construct: put some
regular chars and option-chars into a $scalar then examince the array returned
by a split(/\w/,$scalar) and see where the funny chars lie.  e.g.

print(join(">",split(/\w/,"string with funny chars")));

(where I have avoided actual 8-bit chars to prevent accidental MIME-ification
of this email.)