Re: [MacPerl] The MacPerl Pages and book (update)

Lasse =?iso-8859-1?Q?Hiller=F8e?= Petersen <lassehp@imv.aau.dk> writes:
>However, on IRIX, if I do (stolen from perldoc POSIX):
>use locale;
>use POSIX;
>POSIX::setlocale( &POSIX::LC_ALL, "es_AR.ISO8859-1" );
>
>then all the ISO-8859-1 accented letters become stars. Obviously this
>doesn't work with MacPerl, as the Mac doesn't use ISO-8859-1, and the
>locale pragma is not supported with MacPerl, it seems.

The problem is that the entire locale engine is not implemented in the Standard
C library I use, and, cool as this would be, I simply don't have the time or
inclination at the moment to write one (Does anybody know of a portable, PD
implementation?).

This should not mean that I doubt the merit of locales, coming from a country
with two different sets of accented characters.

Matthias

-----
   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground