[MacPerl] Read Speed II

I think I need to clarify a little bit. Herein lies my problem:

#!perl
print "Beginning... ";
$q = time();
open (IN, "seraphX:Desktop Folder:summary.tab");
while (<IN>) {$data .= $_;}
close IN;
$i = time() - $q;
print "done. $i seconds.\n";

This script CRAWLS. For a 4.7 mb file, it takes far too long. I left it for
at least 10 minutes, and MacPerl's memory was at about 500k. Any ideas why?

#!perl
print "Beginning... ";
$q = time();
open (IN, "seraphX:Desktop Folder:summary.tab");
@data = <IN>;
close IN;
$i = time() - $q;
print "done. $i seconds.\n";

For the same file, this script takes 69 seconds. Not bad- still seems a
_little_ slow, but I'm using a 7200/75. However, it takes more than 10mb of
RAM once it's done- more like 12. Shouldn't it be just a little over 4.7?
Is there a better way to do this part? It seems pretty straightforeward to
me, but I DO need all of the file in memory.

Oh, and does s// actually put the entire revised searched scalar into
memory as well as the initial one? I think someone mentioned that to me...

Thanks,
Strider